Sugar, sugar! Or honey, honey?

Isn't that how the song goes? Ok, I know I am up way too late and I really have to pee but I came across a question on a blog that I wished to address.


So, if I refuse to allow my son to eat junk food, but then I have chocolate chip cookies for lunch (Don't worry. I didn't just have cookies. I also had some cookiedough.), does that mean that I'm a hypocrite, or just that I selflessly value the health of my child far more than my own?

Yes and no to your question. Yes, because if it can go in your body it should be ok to go in theirs right? (3 year old logic) and No, you know what your body can handle and know that cookies are "sometimes" foods and let's face it, we all take better care of the kids than we do ourselves.
It also depends on the child and how old they are. My kids cannot handle sugar in large quantities. They have not grown up with immense intakes. Thanks to what I know as a trainer/medical person/avid parenting magazine reader:) I made the decision to keep sugar to a minimum in our home. I did not feed my first child sugar until he was a year old. Note I say I, my mother did her best to give him what she could. His birthday cake was his first real taste of butter cream sugary goodness. The kid didn't even finish his slice. The second one I became a little more laxed and he has more of a sweet tooth BUT I still keep it to a minimum.
This is for my own weak will (as you can read more about here).
Have some limitations on "goodies" but allow your kids to enjoy them. If you are at a party have a piece of cake! Don't give them desserts late at night (for your own sake!) My kids sleep walk and talk at 2 am. The most convenient time of course. If I give them a treat it's in the afternoon so they have plenty of time to burn it off.
I think the one thing you don't want to do is not allow them to have any sugar at all. Because when they do get their hands on some they go crazy for it. Like it is forbidden fruit! Their body can't handle it either and you will get some nasty result for example...
The boys are almost four and two and a half now. One day Frankie really wanted ice cream. It was boiling outside so we decided to let them splurge and have their own DQ cone with sprinkles. As they ate I knew it was a bad idea. I could feel it! What did I get? A sugar high that ended in a crash full of tears and for the next two days diarrhea in the underwear. Yuck! So now I am back to making "healthy cookies" (they are good) and my own ice cream. It's alot of work but it does allow your kid to enjoy the sweet things in life without the nasty side effects. The best part is they like helping and they don't know the difference.
( you would like any recipes let me know.)

Lissy  – (October 1, 2009 at 11:53 PM)  

Recipes - yes please! You are right on. All things in moderation and little kids are little so they need less.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP