Wha'd he say??

You know how when your toddler starts talking you have to translate what they say to everyone else?  The garbled half formed words make sense to you but not to someone hearing them for the first time.  I thought I was well versed in toddlerese until Friday.  Either that or my brain filter was not tuned to toddler mode.  The boys and I were driving to the gym when Ollie kept saying "ie poo-boo."  

"What?  You have to poo-poo?" No, that can't be it.  We don't use the phrase poo-poo.  Try again.
"ie poo-boo."
" You have a boo-boo?"  Great probability seeing as both boys are constantly falling. 
"ie poo-boo." Obviously I'm not 100% correct because he is still repeating the same phrase.
" You have an owie boo-boo?"
"yea"
Mission accomplished.

Situation number two and three were extremely similar to one another.

We were at the store and Ollie was in the shopping cart.  As we were checking out he kept whining "suck, suck."  I thought he wanted a snack and kept telling him I would get him one in a minute.  As we were on our way out to the parking lot I notice his thumb wedge in the bars. 
 "Oh, your STUCK," I exclaimed as I realized my translation error. 
 "yea" he replied as I dislodged his imprisoned thumb.

After our nap the boys were hanging out watching a movie as I was vacuuming the living room floor.  I couldn't hear much over the vacuum but I saw Ollie begin to cry.  
"It's ok bud, I'll be done soon."  I assure him thinking "he's never had a problem with the noise before."  He keeps crying and saying "suck."
"I'll get you a snack when I'm finished," I yell over the whir of the vacuum.
"HELP!" yells Ollie
I look over and notice his arm is STUCK inside a small Nalgene bottle (mr. chubby man) and he can't get it out.
After three such failings in one day I realize I need to study harder if I am going to master this language.    

Jessica  – (November 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM)  

That's so funny when he finally yelled "Help!" I miss you all so much! See you soon!

joelandbecca  – (November 17, 2008 at 1:31 PM)  

oh poor baby! So some things were lost in translation, but I still think it is amazing how it is the mother that can do the translating for others.

Gaines Family Blog  – (December 12, 2008 at 11:51 AM)  

oh, my gosh...I forgot how fun toddlers are. They are a wealth of joy and amusement. Cherish it...it doesn't last long.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP