Hard times= Time to change

Since the crash of the economy October 6th I have had to look at and seriously evaluate our situation.  Since food and gas prices went up we were barely and sometimes not living within our means.  I tried cutting everything I could think of to make a difference with no dice.  Our ever growing boys made our ever growing budget daunting.  So we have decided to take some drastic measures to get our family back in balance.  Dextrose is no longer with us.  Sad as it may be we found him an outstanding family of 2 people and 2 other dogs.  They live on over an acre of land with squirrels and lizards galore.  Personally I think he traded up, but that didn't make it any easier to drive him to a dog park and put him in the back of someone else's car when we were ready to leave.  Jesse and I cried repeatedly that day and it broke our hearts when Frankie began looking for him the next morning.  Jesse got a second job with REI for the Christmas season and I have decided to start my photography business.  The photography biz is to explore my passion and hopefully make money while doing it.  We have also decided to move.  All of our sweat, blood and curses over our lawn and garden will be there for someone else to enjoy.  Just when I figured out what grows where too.  We are moving to Lakeside to a small town home.  The only consolation will be the $500 a month savings in rent and utilities.  In doing this we hope to eliminate our debt and save up for a house.  I know everyone is struggling in one way or another and I'm not writing this because I want pity from anyone.  I want everyone to know that it's ok to "back track" to get on track.  We don't have to continually expand.  Sometimes a stunt in growth or trimming the fat is an appropriate tactic for the health of your family.  Everybody has a story but I think what I'm trying to say is if you ever feel tied down something is not right and needs to change.  Figure out what it is and be brave enough to change it.  

Lura  – (November 14, 2008 at 6:06 AM)  

I'm sorry Dex is gone! I know how you all love him. But I understand. Jesse and I were looking forward to the end of this month and our lease being up so we could move to a slightly bigger and hopefully nicer house (with much better property managers!). Then we looked at the budget...yeah, we're staying here. At most we can afford to get a storage unit so that we have more room for when the baby is born.

The good news for all of us? For those of us willing to sacrafice a little now, we'll be the ones out of debt and able to afford more, even in a crappy economy, in the future when our kids are older and when it's even harder to find work.

Joshua Tolley  – (November 14, 2008 at 7:15 AM)  

Within 10 minutes of reading your post, I also read the link below, and figured I'd pass it on :) Good luck and all that...

http://www.diyphotography.net/pvc-backdrop-light-stand

joelandbecca  – (November 14, 2008 at 10:27 AM)  

Oh so sad! Good luck to your doggy! It is tough to face change-but smart to live beneath our means. Good luck with the move and the savings

Thanks for your kind words about Lila. I know you are right, and it brought a tear to my eye!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP