The Fire Department? at our house? Nooo!

It was your typical monday with nothing special to do.  Just house work and letting the kids be kids.  Frank woke up from his nap, quietly closed the door so Ollie could continue sleeping and came down stairs.  I was also enjoying an afternoon siesta when I heard.  step..step..step.. "Mommy, mommy I had a good rest."  Seeing that as my cue to get up I promptly rolled over and pried open one eye.  "That's good, why don't you go play."  With a cute smile he wanders off and starts to play while I wrench my tired self from that oh so comfortable mattress.  I begin the never ending task of LAUNDRY and we continue on quietly for about 15 minutes or so.  After a while Frank wants to go upstairs and play... by Ollie's room.  I am hesitant but I extract a genuine vow of silence form my three year old (laughable, I know).  As I'm putting yet another load into the dryer I hear Ollie upstairs through the vent but he doesn't make his way out of the room.  I know he can't reach the door knob very well so I call up to Frank to let Ollie out.  Silence... Ollie begins to whine.  I call again, let Ollie out.  " I can't, Ollie's stuck."  What?!  I race upstairs, thinking he's wedge between a bed and a wall or something.  I reach the top, run for the door and turn the knob.... it's locked... from the inside.  I run around trying to find the right size screwdriver to take off the door knob.  Curses!  Jesse actually put his tools away.  I end up using an eye glasses repair kit and finally get the door knob off.  "Did you lock the door?"  I ask Frank as I try to release the bolt.  "Yea."  I wanted to say so many things to my older one like "never do that again" and "time out" etc. but I was more concerned with the pacing, tear stained blond boy I could see through the hole in the door.  He stuck his fingers through the door trying to get to me and cried.  Frank began to cry and try with all my might the useless tools I had could not get the bolt out of the jam!!!  The wheels in my mind began to turn.  What would Jesse do?  He's a fire fighter.... fire fighter.... fire department.  Why not have them get him out?  We know almost every single fire crew member that works out of our fire station thanks to Jesse's career and Frank obsession with fire trucks.  I called 911 and they sent out the engine.  Captain Williams jumps down from the engine and the first thing he says is "So, is Jesse at work today?"  Ha, ha.  Boy do I feel like a nerd:)  "My brother is stuck," Frank informs them all as they come inside.  They walk in and within a minute Ollie is release from his room and sniffling in my arms AND the door is still intact.  Hurray for Engine 18, you have saved the day.  Ollie looked at all the guys, curious as to why the fire truck is at our house and not "sleeping" at the station like it usually is.  As they walk back out Captain tells me to "call any time" and I retort "next time Jesse's not home, you bet."  As we wave at the departing fire truck I realize this is the second time this year they've been called to my house for an emergency.  I think we've reached our quota.   

Lura  – (October 30, 2008 at 10:48 AM)  

Since it's all over and everyone is ok, can I laugh now? Sorry, but I do find it amusing. I'm sure at the time, with Ollie stuck in his room it wasn't funny at all, but now? Come on, you know it is.

Erin Hoy  – (October 30, 2008 at 11:39 AM)  

oh my word! I would have freaked out and not been calm enough to think of what to do!!! Glad everyone is ok and it is pretty funny :)

Unknown  – (November 2, 2008 at 5:58 PM)  

Hahaha! That is one funny little memory. :) It's good you knew exactly what to do in an emergency, Rachel: Call 911 :) Well, I hope you don't run into any trouble like that anytime soon!♥ Heidi

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP