Is dating endangered??

That was the title from an article I was reading in the New Era Magazine.  The answer is yes.  Boys and girls don't know how to go out and have fun together in a dating situation.  There is alot of "hanging out but dating is dead.  Too many young people believe that being boyfriend and girlfriend is the only way to get to know each other.  I have eleven year olds in my class that have girlfriends.  Wha???  I asked them what having a girlfriend means to them.  When they tried to explain what their definition was it came out as a friend of the opposite sex that you can tell anything to, be comfortable around, and occasionally hold hands.  Why do you need a title for that?  Guys don't know how to treat a girl on a date and some girls don't know how to act when they are on a date.  Mothers, we need to do something about this.  We need to teach our young men how to treat a woman.  We should need to be our son's first date.  We need show them what is expected of them.  Fathers, same goes with you.  You should be your daughter's first date.  She should know what is appropriate by your example.  She needs to know what she deserves so that she doesn't settle for less.  Growing up without a Dad during my dating years I made more errors than I should have.  I emotionally exposed myself way too often seeking for male affection.  Looking back is slightly embarrassing.  In the beginning I too was under the impression that a boyfriend was the only way to get to know a boy.  Then as I began to date more I saw the wonderful world of possibilities.  I could go out with three or four great guys and have a blast without strings attached.  I had a stable group of friends and we would double or triple date.  Those few years were some of the funnest in my life.  Dating should be fun not complicated.  Dating someone means you two are getting to know each other.  Boyfriend and girlfriend stage should be seriously looking at marriage.    Sorry for the ramble but I am so tired of labels and titles for relationships.  Slow down world!  Don't go so fast!

Lissy  – (April 1, 2010 at 11:02 PM)  

I saw the title of that article mentioned in the Ensign and it peaked my interest. I definitely think the whole dating scene is askew these days. I'm kind of old-fashioned and like the guy to do the asking. Well guess what - a lot of guys aren't asking anymore! I didn't really start dating until I was in college, and gosh - I'm not that ugly! Guys and girls should date a ton and keep it friendly so they can get to know what they like and don't like in a companion & if they work well together. Not all personalities do work well together even if they have similar beliefs and goals. The more you date the more you become aware of those things. My husband had some great etiquette for guys asking girls out to take off pressure and embarrassment on both sides. I told him he should write a book. One thing he said was ask them out for a specific time/event so that they can give excuse if they aren't interested. If they are interested they should let the guy know by suggesting an alternate time. If they refuse a second time with no excuse that should give the guy the idea they aren't interested. Most important is just to get out there. There's no way to really know what you like & consider important in a relationship until you've been in some.

Anonymous –   – (April 3, 2010 at 7:46 AM)  

My sister's husband took their 3 year old out on a date last month. He bought her flowers and took her out to get ice cream. It was so cute and something I had never thought about. Definitely a good idea!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP