Water and Land Animals

Water and land are two different worlds. Gravity pulls us down and water pushes against us in all directions. Some of us naturally take to land or water better. I am part fish myself. I have been teaching water aerobics for about six years. I find it challenging and an excellent workout. It may not look like much from above the water but if you get in and start working with us you come to find it's not so easy. Water aerobics is great for injured athletes, people with joint problems, back pain, sciatic nerve issues, obesity, etc. Looking for a great way to firm up post pardom? Head to the water.

I was getting ready to teach today when an aerobics instructor I knew came on deck. I have taken his cardio salsa class and the man can DANCE! He runs circles around me on the aerobic floor. John told me he was getting certified for water and let me know he would be taking my classes. I cautioned him that water aerobics feels VERY different (mister impecable rythm) and told him that it might take him a few classes to catch on to the movements and timing. He said he was game.
"Sweet, jump in and let's get started." I chirped, secretly laughing my evil laugh (muaaah. Muaahaha, muhahahahah! It's payback time. MUAAHHAHAHA!)
My workout was well rounded with a good variety. All my students liked it. I kept peeking over at John, who was totally out of his element, hoping that he was doing things right. Why is it that when we don't know what we are doing we go to the BACK of the class??? Hello, you should be at the front. This is most important when you are in a water aerobics class. It is necessary to be close to the instructor to see what she/he is doing and so we can correct you if necessary to prevent injury. I could tell he was struggling but he stuck it out. By the end of class he seemed to understand the element H2O a little better. We work with the water. We use the resistance and enjoy the challenge. Welcome to my world, it's going to be a wavy ride:)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP