Recycling... reusing... conserving...

Just a thought:  If I try to conserve water I kill trees.  If I try to recycle I waste water, and if I try to reuse I still create waste and waste water.  This is something I have been thinking about all week. 

 Example #1:  I buy paper plates to conserve water and because I don't like doing dishes.  Paper plates do come from trees but a good percentage on the market are made from recycled paper.  I do buy dixie for special occasions though:)   So we use the paper plates, then throw them away.  Upside, I'm not rinsing dishes and running the dishwasher as much, thus conserving water.  Down side I am adding to the land fills and killing trees.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Which is better?
 Example #2:  I am trying to recycle all that I can.  Cereal boxes, pasta sauce jars, apple sauce jars, milk jugs etc.  That means I need to rinse out the containers and tin cans BEFORE I recycle them.  Did you know that it is necessary to do so?  Upside, I am doing my part and trying to save the planet one can at a time.  Down side, water is too precious to loose.  Our reservoirs are at 25% capacity right now and we are in our third year of drought.  They are threatening to ration water in SD.  I'm torn.
Example #3: I like to reuse plastic grocery bags for liners in the bathroom trash cans, holding wet clothes, and carrying other items.  What happens after they are reused???  They still wind up in the trash or I try to rinse them an use them again.  Thus, killing the planet or wasting water.  Do you know how long it takes for one of those plastic grocery bags to break down?  It can take hundreds of years for a bag to fully decompose.  See the article here.  I was watching Wall-E with my kids one day.  In the beginning when he is on earth and the wind kicks up you see what almost looks like sea gulls flying and fluttering around.  They aren't sea gulls my friends they are plastic BAGS!  
So what am I to do?  Maybe I shouldn't think so deeply about little things like this.  

 

Arica  – (March 1, 2009 at 10:20 PM)  

i contemplate the same things quite often.

..what is best??
the only thing i DO know, is that with the FIRST scenerio, using a powerful/energy saving dishwasher, is much more eco-friendly than paper plates. as annoying and water consuming as it may seem.. the amount of water used is much less with a nice and new dishwasher than hand washing them in a sink of water. true story.

..the others are just as confusing to me. i try to be sure to recycle, and someday i will compost my produce waste. someday..

Sarah  – (March 2, 2009 at 1:03 AM)  

I've thought about this too, and I've come to this conclusion: It's all the same amount of 'waste', it's the difference in what it is you are wasting. Water, landfill, or killing trees??? It gives me a headache! I think it's important to conserve, but I also think we need to be realistic about it. If I think about it too much I waste my day stressing over it when I should be rescuing my home from a 2 year old! :)

Chris  – (March 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM)  

Oh man you should talk to my husband - I go about with this same conversation --- He just throws his hands up and says the earth will be celestialized in the end anyhow - so whats the point!?? so not part of the argument if you ask me - I think we do our best to do our part so that the resources we have last even a tiny bit longer...


Plastic bag issue -- I have loved using the reusable green bags they sell at the stores now - so much more groceries fit in them So i only have to take one or two trips out to the car instead of 20 - the bag never breaks like grocery bags do... i just plain like 'em -

Unknown  – (March 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM)  

I do use the reuseable bags but don't always remember them. I agree, they fit so much more in them and when you have to haul groceries up a flight of stairs that counts for something:)

Lura  – (March 3, 2009 at 6:22 AM)  

I would say, given where you live, that trying to conserve water is more of a top priority. Especially if they're going to be rationing water if the drought continutes much longer. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to use paper plates though. For most dishwashers you don't really need to rinse the dishes (I'll mention more in a minute), just don't pack it so that it's so full the water jets can't get to the dishes you have in there. Even high efficiency washers can't get everything clean if it's overloaded. Also, you can use a sponge to wipe down plates, etc., which uses little water but does get the dishes ready for the dishwasher.

Now that I've hi-jacked your blog...I'll just say, good luck! It does cause a headache, doesn't it?

Ivy  – (March 29, 2009 at 5:01 PM)  

Also, did you know that recycling plastic and paper goods uses tons of energy and creates a huge carbon foot print, as opposed to just making new things? It's all frustrating to me too. I just finished making reusable grocery bags out of all our old T shirts though, so I'll only have to get plastic grocery bags when I'm running out of trash can liners! :)

Ivy  – (March 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM)  

Oh and also, disposable vs. cloth diapers raises the same issues. I always decided on disposable because of convenience and the water issue ( three kids and diapers = a lot of water down the drain). But landfill issues arise in all of southern CA as well so which is the lesser evil? Personally, I'd say saving the water is better.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP