FNAR... for no apparent reason

Last Thursday I was talking to Jesse in the kitchen.  I was laying out our plans for the weekend and suddenly he interupts me and says "Ok, I'm going to tell you something.  Stop making plans because you and I are leaving at 4 pm tomorrow for a weekend."

What pops into my head???  All the reasons I can't go.  I know, way to kill the sweetness of thought right?
"What about the kids?" I ask.
"Your mom is going to watch them.  And before you ask, I talked to your boss and got your Saturday class covered.  We're packing the bags for the motorcycle, getting our leathers on and riding up to Julian tomorrow at four.  So, stop making plans."
Needless to say, I was elated.  I woke up Friday morning waiting for the clock to strike four.  I had plenty of stuff to do in between but I couldn't wait.
We dropped the boys off at my mom's and took off.  I literally threw my arms up and yelped "yahoo!" as we were riding away from the house.  The ride up to Julian started out chilly and turned bitterly cold as we got further up the mountain.  We prepared with layers of clothing, fleece, and leather but the longer on the bike the more the wind whips through your layers and chills you down to the bone.  We were only going thirty miles an hour, thanks to a car in front of us who was slow as poo, and a wicked cross breeze kicked up around 15 minutes into the ride.  By the time we reached our destination we could barley get off the bike and walk.  Picture the scene in Dumb and Dumber when they are riding up the mountain and actually reach Aspen, yea, that's us.  Our getaway was a quaint one bedroom cabin that a friend of ours mother owns.  It had a spacious living room with a pot belly stove.  We got a fire started right away and I went hunting for the hot cocoa.  We sat by the stove with cocoa in hand and felt our fingers and toes slowly come back to life.  As our shivering subsided we decided to go out to dinner rather than make what we brought.  Luckily, town was only three frozen minutes away.  We rode into town and had a FABULOUS italian dinner at Romano's.  Best italian food I have ever tasted!  We took two hours to eat... TWO hours!  When was the last time I took two hours to do anything?!  Jesse and I went back to the cabin, threw on some sweats, pick up a book and read for hours.  Curled up in my over stuffed chair I realized something.
"Jesse," I whispered. "Shh, shh, do you hear that??  Nothing."  That's right.  No kids jabbering or whining.  No neighbors banging around on the ajoining walls.  No machines humming or street noise.  Nothing but sweet silence.  
The next morning we just puttered around, ate breakfast around nine, and rode into town.  I have never been into the mines of Julian so Jesse took me up to tour one.  It was really cool and very informative.  At one point we were way down in the shaft and the guide turned off the lights.  It was the darkest dark I had ever experienced.  I can't imagine how people worked in that.  After that we high tailed it home.  It was sunny and warm so a much more pleasant ride.
My awesome husband did all this for me for no reason other than we needed it and he loves me.  How great is that?!?  Thanks honey, I love you.   

Lura  – (March 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM)  

That is awesome! What a sweetie your husband is. Sounds like you had a well deserved vacation. A real one too, where you didn't still have to do a ton of work taking care of kids. It may have only been about 24 hours, but still. Amazing. I'm jealous ;).

Allison  – (March 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM)  

OOOh, that's sounds so nice! I'm very jealous right now!

Darlene  – (March 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM)  

You are one lucky lady and he is one lucky man. And I am one lucky Grandma because I got to watch two beautiful grandchildren! Love, Mom

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP