Weird Allergies



I have always been allergic to weird things... avocados, carrots, cantaloupe, kiwis.  After having two children I see my condition worsening.  My melon allergy got worse and I had to be careful about other things I ate.  I was in Costco with my mom one day and we picked up a sample of yogurt.  As we were eating it I began to feel my throat closing making it harder to swallow and breath.  I stop eating the yogurt and we went back to find out what was in it.  Flax seed powder!  It just so happened that I was now extremely allergic to flax seed and any other seed oil on some degree.  I thought that was a new level of weird until Wednesday.
I peeled and sliced a mango for breakfast in the morning and while I was cutting the fruit I cut off some of the seeds spiny outside.  As I ingested that little part of the seed husk I had a massive allergic reaction.  I stumbled out of the kitchen, feeling knives in my throat, as I rummaged for some Benadryl in our medicines container.  No pills... AAGH! (like I could swallow them anyway).  Then I spotted the children's Benadryl!  Three teaspoons ought to do it!  I gagged down the horrifically sweetened medicine thinking "How do my kids stand this stuff?"  Praying that the direct contact would ease my suffering.  Reeling, I held onto the counter waiting for relief and tried to calmly answer my children's "are you ok mommy." mantra.  I swear a child will ask the exact same question a million times until they are answered.  Yes I am still alive to tell the story but who knows what my body will react to next:)  

Sarah  – (May 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM)  

:( You poor thing! It just makes me want to come down and take care of you! :(

joelandbecca  – (June 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM)  

oh goodness! i am glad you are ok. that could have turned way bad! those are weird allergies for sure! i have never heard of those combos before. i am on a guacamole kick! so i feel so bad you can't eat that. but flax seed, i never would have imagined!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP