Yes, I still miss you...

Some years are easier than others.  There are times when Valentine's Day flies right by and I don't think about you.  This year is not one of those years.  It is hard to mourn during the day of love.  My day of memorial and silent grief is interrupted by hearts, happiness, and public displays of affection.  I know it's not your fault.  I woke up yesterday morning with a song of sadness in my head that wouldn't go away.  My heart hung heavy as I trudge through the day knowing that tomorrow was coming.  There were several times that I just needed a hug.  Today was hard.  I lay in bed with that sad sound track in my head just wanting to roll over and go back to sleep.  Wishing to wallow in my sadness for a moment... as little children pulled on my covers and requested breakfast.  After fixing breakfast Frank and I had a sweet discussion about prayers and being able to pray for whatever you needed.  He needed to find part of a toy that was lost.  Thinking about prayer and how the Lord does bless us with what we need had me swallowing tears.  "It's ok mommy," Frankie said "you're alright."  Oh my sweet boy.  He is beginning to understand who you are.  I want him to know his name sake and I do the best I can to teach him.  I am so lucky to have had you in my life.  You taught me hard work.  The Barbecue Pit was a right of passage.  We were expected to do a job at age 12 and it paved our way into the working world.  You helped me to see that giving your best is what is expected and all that is required.  You bullied me into laughing at myself:)  R.O.P, Rachel out of Place was probably your favorite phrase to use at work when I was slacking.  I know I was your favorite to tease.  You showed me that having a sense of humor is a gift and not one that everyone possesses.  You gave me my love for music and showed me how a prayer of song reaches deeper into the soul.  Without music I would never have learned how to express the depth of my feelings.  You taught me gospel principles.  Jesus Christ is the firm foundation on which I stand.  Thank you, thank you for what I have.  There will always be a wish for more time or things gone unsaid but I am grateful for what was.  I still remember the last time you told me I was beautiful.  I was in your hospital room, just you and me.  You reached out a shaking hand to me and asked me to take off my mask.  You were still so unstable I was afraid of infecting you.  You insisted, and I removed the mask from my nose and mouth.  "You're so beautiful," you sighed as I turned a shade of red, "I have the most beautiful girls."  We both began to weep.  It was a moment I'll remember forever.  I know you look in on me from time to time.  I know you watch over us while Jesse is away.  I know that you love us, that you didn't want to leave us but had to go.  I know I will see you again... I know all that but I still miss you.  I love you Dad.

Love,
  Rachel  

Christine Capella  – (February 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM)  

Thanks for sharing this, yea it still hurt but your faith and what you are teaching Frank, just goes to the legacy you call your Dad.
HUGGGGGSSSSS

Kasey  – (February 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM)  

Oh girl! I love you so much and he I am sure is so proud of who you have become! You are an eloquent writer and all who read this will be lifted and edified by your strength! Thank you for sharing and yesterday you were in my thoughts and prayers throughout the day!

Amy Marie  – (February 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM)  

oh my... I'm crying and I can barely type. I love your dad. Every Valentine's day I think of when he and Daniel came over to my house with bbq pit when my granddad died. He had his big old smile... and was totally selfless. That little memory, that little moment... I LOVE YOU RACHEL, thanks for such good memories!!! :) XOXO

Allison  – (February 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM)  

I'm crying too. Tim and I remembered him and talked about him the 14th too. What an amazing man to call your dad!

joelandbecca  – (February 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM)  

Ok-I am crying. I was thinking of your family this year a lot. These are beautiful words and such an amazing expression of your love. Your dad is so amazing. So funny and so easy to love. He is missed by so many. Thanks for sharing. Love, Becca

Darlene  – (February 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM)  

SweetPea,
What a beautiful tribute to your Dad and the legacy he has left in you and now your children--some of my precious grandchildren. May you know how wonderful it was to read this through all the tears. I love you.
Mom

Coburn Kids  – (February 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM)  

Rachel, I read this shortly after you posted it and was so touched I was at a true loss for words. We haven't been friends for long, but I greatly appreciate this sweet insight into your life and family. As a read through it a second time, I felt compelled to thank you for sharing this honest expression of love for your father. It was truly a beautiful tribute to his life and love.

Jessica  – (March 10, 2009 at 11:17 PM)  

I was balling reading this post. I actually made it through this past Valentines without too much sadness. So this year was easier than some others I've had. When you started talking about the Pit, even before you mentioned ROP, I was thinking it. I love you! When I come down in April, we'll have to go do a sister thing!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP