Something for nothing...

Why is it that people in this world try to get all they can for as little as they can???  Imagine going into Payless and having to pay $100 for a pair of shoes.  You expect to go in there for a bargain and you don't expect those shoes to last forever so paying $100 is not worth it.  Now, imagine going into Nordstroms and buying a pair of shoes for $100.  They better be quality and last for a while, right?    It is a bit frustrating to go into the "market place" and see that what I charge is what some consider too expensive.  Too expensive?  Are you serious?  I don't charge nearly what I should for the time I put in!  I charge what I feel my time is worth and at this point I am trying to build my portfolio with my work.  I need work to get a good array of people so I am willing to sacrifice a bit on price to get this.  As I strike out on my own it is slightly depressing to feel like I am a Payless store selling $100 shoes.  Aren't the pictures worth it?

Sarah  – (June 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM)  

pictures are SO worth it! But part of your job as a small business owner (unfortunately) is to let people understand this. You most certainly understand your product's value, but most consumers don't really. They don't understand how freaking expensive your equipment is, how precise the craft of actual photography is, etc. In the digital age, I'm sure most people think just about anyone can 'point and shoot' and get the same results. Therein lies the rub: people I'm sure are already getting a smoking deal with you, yet everyone loves to get stuff for next to nothing. Maybe you can let them know your value in a nice professional way? I know how disenheartening that is! Good luck!

Lura  – (June 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM)  

I read this post right after you wrote it, but I've been thinking about it before responding. I think I've figured out why people don't understand why the pictures and your talent are worth as much as they are. It's the camera commercials we see on tv. They all talk about "point and shoot simplicity" but show all these amazing pictures that people have taken, the kind of picture that someone who REALLY understands their camera may be able to acheive, but the average person can't. So the general populance *thinks* they can all do what you do, so it shouldn't cost so much.

Rachel Wattson  – (June 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM)  

good point Lura. I didn't think about it that way but you are right.

Coburn Kids  – (June 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM)  

I think that both Sara and Lura hit it on the head. People think that they could do it, so it shouldn't cost that much. However, just the act of them wanting a photographer says that they can't do it themselves. You know better than anyone how I struggle with charging for cakes. It's the whole thing that Lura was talking about. People see "professional" looking products elsewhere and ask me why I'm charging $100 for a cake that they can get at Costco for $20. It's because they can't get the same product at Costco as they can from us. Just as people can not get the same pictures (unless they themselves are a professional)from there own camera as they will get with a professional photographer. It's all about time and quality. Right now I'm trying to find a nice way of telling people if they want Costco cake, they should just go to Costco.

~Angele

Jessica  – (August 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM)  

Make sure you tell people that you cannot get a quality product or service for a "Walmart" price. You are a professional. Not everyone understands what that means, and those are the people that you don't want to work with! You are an awesome photographer and only those who understand the value of a good photo and a professional photographer will know they are getting a STEAL when they use your services!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP